« Home | I Caved » | Trans-Atlantic Drawl » | Hockey Season » | Stolen From Peter » | A Lasting Impact » | Sports Thoughts » | Fix Up, Look Sharp - Dizzee Rascal » | For All Your Branding Needs » | Pearl Jam Setlist » | Thought of the Day » 

Thursday, November 24, 2005 

Could Lois Lane Have Superman's Baby?

I love Mallrats. I'm not ashamed to admit that I love watching the ugly duckling of the View Askew universe. So I downloaded and watched the extended version of Mallrats today. I'd say there was at least 45 minutes of new footage added to movie including an unnecessary subplot with T.S. accidentally arrested for trying to shoot the governor. Also, all of this extra footage does explain some of the non-sequitur lines contains within the original.

However, in extending the movie, one of my favourite scenes was removed: Brodie's opening soliloquy.

"One time my cousin Walter got this cat stuck in his ass. True story. He bought it at the local mall, so the whole fiasco wound up on the news. It was embarrassing for my relatives and all. But the next week, he did it again. Different cat, same results, complete with a trip to the emergency room. Then, last week, I saw him in the pet store. He was buying another cat. I said, "Walt, what the hell are you doing, you know you're just gonna get this cat stuck up your ass too, why don't you knock it off?" And he says to me, "Brodie, how the hell else am I supposed to get the gerbil out?" My cousin was a weird guy."

Ultimately, skip the extended edition. Very little of value is added and the story doesn't flow nearly as well as the original did. Stick with the original. Jeremy London still can't act his way out of a paper bag and the story still has flaws. But I still love it.

Original version gets 4 1/2 out of 5 stars.
Extended version gets 3 out of 5 stars.