« Home | You're A Women, Am I A Machine? » | Too Many Sporting Metaphors, Too Little Time » | Just Like Heaven » | Axial Annuli » | Watching The Minutes Turn Into Hours » | So You've Decided To Create A Blog » 

Friday, March 11, 2005 

That's A Smile, Not An Upside-Down Frown!

I woke up happy this morning for the first time in a while. Almost eager to get back to books to continue to study for my midterm today. It seems like it was worth it since I just blazed through that exam like a chronic blunt. Easily the best midterm of the semester. On par with the feelings that I had after some of those 90s from last semester. I felt so good that when I was walking home I was thinking about how much I'd enjoy a Stella when I got here. Crank up some "Fit But You Know It" and relax.

No bottle opener.

Damn Stella bottles aren't twistoffs. I should know that by now. So instead of Mike Skinner and Ms. Artois I went for some Electric Six and Sleeman. Not as enjoyable. Oh well, I'm in too good of a mood for something as trite as that to ruin it.

If there's a goal that everyone remembers it was back in ol' 72
We all squeezed the stick and we all pulled the trigger
And all I remember was sitting beside you
You said you didn't give a fuck about hockey
And I never saw someone say that before
You held my hand and we walked home the long way
You were loosening my grip on Bobby Orr


Fireworks, The Tragically Hip

Just change '72 to '05, hockey to basketball and Bobby Orr to March Madness. Maybe it won't keep the same beat but it's much more relevant to me. And maybe get rid of the bit about the stick too. Much of the hesitation and anxiety that I've experienced is probably just based around change. There's the old saying, "The more things change, the more they stay the same." There's also the interesting corollary, "The more things change, the more fucked up everything becomes." Hmmm...I don't think that's a corollary. Anyways, March Madness has been a part of my March for as long as I can remember, dating back to the first trip to Myrtle Beach in 1989. 16 years of watching every game, filling out a bracket, betting some money and having a good time doing it. Last year, I almost won $140 in a pool. I'm real excited about it again this year.

Saying that though, I'm surprised at the ease at which I've been able to blow it off. And that's a good thing. Instead of sitting in a bar with my friends, knocking back beers, eating deep-fried goodies and cheering on our teams, I'll be sitting at home with an awesome personally-made dinner with the person who means more to me than anything else right now. I guess if there was no change, life would be pretty dull.

She may loosen my grip on March Madness, but I'll never loosen my grip on my friends. They were there before, they're there now and if there is an after, hopefully not, they'll be there then too.

What That Flavour? It's Not Weed.